Privacy & Cookies Policy
This Privacy & Cookies Policy dated 30/10/2017 replaces our previous policies. Please take the time to review before you continue to use our products and services.
By using our products and services, including browsing our websites, registering or logging in, you agree we may use your information as outlined in this Policy.
If you do not wish to have your information used in line with this Policy, you must not use our products and services and not otherwise provide us with your information.
Information we may hold about you
- Information you’ve provided to us
- Information about your interaction with our websites, mobile apps and other products and services, including adverts
- Information we collect using cookies stored on your device about your use of our websites and/or selected third party websites.
- Information we collect or remember using technologies similar to cookies, such as device identifiers on your mobile device.
- Your IP address, which is a number that identifies a specific network device on the internet which allows your device to communicate with websites and apps.
- Technical information from your device relating to the service you receive
- Information relating to the location of your device.
What are cookies and how do they work?
Cookies are small files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Your browser sends these cookies back to the website every time you visit the site again, so it can recognise you. This allows websites to tailor what you see on the screen.
Cookies are an important part of the internet. They make using websites much smoother and affect lots of the useful features of websites. There are many different uses for cookies, but they fall into four main groups:
(i) Cookies that are needed to provide the service you have asked for
Some cookies are essential so you can move around the website and use its features. Without these cookies, services you’ve asked for can’t be provided. These cookies don’t gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering your browsing history. For example:
- Keeping you logged in during your visit; without cookies you might have to log in on every page you go to.
- When you add something to the online shopping basket, cookies make sure it’s still there when you get to the checkout.
(ii) Cookies used to improve your browsing experience
These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make, such as your language or region and they provide improved features. For example:
- Remembering your preferences and settings, including marketing preferences.
- Remembering if you’ve filled in a survey, so you’re not asked to do it again.
- Showing you information that’s relevant to products of ours that you have.
- Showing ‘related article’ links that are relevant to the page you’re looking at.
- Linking your browsing history collected by analytics cookies to your registration details to provide you with recommended content and marketing
Cookies are also used to enable social media components on our websites, such as embedded content from social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter, share buttons and videos. The cookies are set by the relevant social media provider. For more information about these cookies, including how to set your preferences for these cookies, please refer to the relevant social media provider’s website for more information.
(iii) Cookies used to understand how people use our products and services (Analytics)
We like to keep track of what pages, links and sections of our apps are popular and which ones don’t get used so much to help us keep our sites relevant and up to date. It’s also very useful to be able to identify trends of how people navigate (find their way through) our sites and if they get ‘error messages’ from web pages.
(iv) Cookies used to show advertising that is relevant to you
Some advertising, known as “online behavioural advertising” or “OBA” is tailored to you and uses information collected by first party and third party cookies.
Some of our web pages will contain promotional links to other companies’ sites. If you follow one of these links and then register with or buy something from that other site, a cookie is sometimes used to tell that other site that you came from one of our sites. That other site may then pay us a small amount for the successful referral.
Your cookie choices
Please note that our website, apps and other products and services may not work correctly (or at all) if you change your preferences. For example, you may not be able to purchase products via our websites. However, you may still be able to place an order via our telephone order line. Please consult our websites for more details.
You can opt-out of receiving cookies by changing your web browser settings.
How we may use your information
By using our websites, apps and other products and services, you agree that we may collect, hold, use or otherwise process your information (including personal information) for the purpose of providing you with those products and services and developing our business which shall include (without limitation):
- Verifying your identity (for example when you return to our websites or mobile apps)
- Understanding more about you, such as your location and demographic information
- Dealing with, and responding to you about, a comment you have submitted for or on our message boards, blogs and other such user generated content facilities
- Enabling you to share our content with others e.g. using “Email a friend” and “Share this article”
- Customer services and support
- Informing you if you have been successful in any competitions or promotions
- Compiling customer reviews
- Conducting market research
- Carrying out statistical, technical and logistical analysis and strategic development
- Communicating with you in relation to your account or service, service updates or other non-marketing communications
- Communicating (and personalising such communication) with you, according to your preferences
- Sending you periodic newsletters about your chosen services
- Sending you direct marketing. This may include communications by post, telephone or email or SMS about us and our business partners’ products and services, events and special offers
- Maintaining records of our communications with you if you get in contact with us
- Blocking disruptive use and ensuring the security of our products and services
- Ensuring the integrity of votes, competitions and polls
- Complying with laws and other circumstances permitted under the Data Protection Act 1998 and other data protection laws.
How we may use your information in specific products or services
Message boards, blogs and other public forums
Our websites may provide message boards, blogs and other user generated content facilities. Anything that you share will become public information. You should always be careful when deciding to disclose your personal information. Please see our Terms and House Rules for more information.
“Email a friend” and “share this article”
Before you use “email a friend” or “share this article” buttons please make sure that anyone you wish to email or share with are happy for this to occur and expect to receive the email or article. You may only share the details of another person with us where you have their express permission.
If you enter a contest or promotion we may ask for your name, address, e-mail address or telephone number. This is so we can run the contest effectively and tell you if you have won.
How we may share your information
We may share your information as required by law and as contemplated by the Data Protection Act 1998 and other data protection laws.
Safeguards and security for your information
We comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and related data protection laws. For more information on the Data Protection Act 1998 and your related rights please see the Information Commissioner’s Office website www.ico.gov.uk.
Email & SMS marketing
You can opt out of a particular marketing campaign or newsletter subscription by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in each email.
Your can opt-out of marketing text messages by replying ‘STOP’.
In accordance with industry best practice guidelines, we may retain your information for a reasonable amount of time to make sure that we do not contact you in the future.
Changes to this Privacy & Cookies Policy
We reserve the right to make changes to our Privacy & Cookies Policy. Where changes are made, we will post the revised Policy here with an updated effective date. Your continued use of our websites, apps, or other products or services will signify your acceptance of these changes.